Sunday, March 23, 2008

Londres!

This is a really late post about London but I wanted to talk about it anyway. Amanda and i flew to London about 4 weeks ago and stayed in Stef and Alison's flat which was really nice.Theres 3 doubles and a single with a kitchen/common room. We got in around 2 in the morning on Friday and Stef waited up for us. We had take an hour long bus from the Luton airport becuase its kind of far from the city. Stef took off from work the next day and was our tour guide for the day! We woke up kind of early and went to see all the touristy things like Big Ben and Buckingham Palace which wasnt as amazing as I thought it would be.We went up the London Eye which is the big ferris wheel and got to see a view of the whole city. Then we met Alison who was working for a quick lunch and went to art gallery and saw some Van Gogh and Monet paintings. We took the tube for the most part there and I felt like a giant becuase the the trains felt so small. We also took some good pictures in the red phone booths which I loved! After Alison got back from work we went out to dinner to their favorite restaurant down the street from their flat with their roommates Erin and Sarah and I got a tuna melt that was amazing and drank Strongbow which is like cider/cerveza.It's really good and I think they only have it in the UK. I also found out that they call french fries "chips" there. When people said fish and chips I always thought they meant regular chips. My friends Emma and Mike studied in London last semester so I asked them where to go and they said they liked this place called Walkabout. It was this australian bar that played really random music but it was great. They played some quality 80s music like madonna and bon jovi which was exciting since I dont really hear that in Madrid! We went to Camden market the next day and I had never seen anything like it. There were really interesting people there and a lot of places to shop. There were these guys with huge mohawks standing around and I bought a tank top there thats like an old rolling stones shirt. After that we went to the grocery store becuase we wanted fajitas for dinner! We got all our supplies and some Strongbow and went back to the flat to cook dinner and then............ i had a Lauralton flashback and saw one of my classmates Laura for the first time since graduation. She is studying in London too and it was really bizarre. We chatted and then she stayed for the fajitas and guacamole which was amazing! We watched part of the Brit awards and saw Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson perform and now I am obsessed with their song "Valerie." After that we decided to go out again and I went to my first English pub and watched a football game! We went to the Court and had some more Strongbow and stayed for awhile. Our flight was at 6 in the morning so we decided to not sleep and just stay out for the rest of the night until we had to take our bus back. Finding a bus to the the sirport was really difficult but Stef and Alison tried to help us. It was freezing and windy and we ended up taking the bus to the airport and finally got there. i fell asleep right away on the plane with my passport and ticket in my hand and Amanda had to wake me up to tell me to put them away. The flight seemed fast and then we were back in Madrid around 11 in the afternoon so i slept for most of the day to catch up on sleep since Londres was exhausting.

No comments: